Friday, October 28, 2011

Coming Full Circle


As a Holistic Animal Practitioner, Canine Nutritionist and Professional Trainer, I wear a lot of hats. I'm okay with that, I love everything about what I do and the dogs I help. I'm in a unique position, as many people fall into one of these categories, not two or even all three. And while each certainly has it's strengths, I'm beginning to notice one common weakness.. the lack of connectivity between these professions and their theories.

I believe that science-based dog training, holistic health care and species appropriate nutrition are absolutely necessary partners. Every one of these affect each other. So, how does the disconnect happen? Most of the time I don't believe it is intentional, I believe that people simply haven't made the connection yet.

I watch people who lovingly train and work their dogs using only the most up-to-date and humane training methods, but feed a poor grade dry dog food. This, in turn will affect behavior & the training process. It may also lead to health issues that will play a role in more behavior issues.

I meet people who are dedicated to feeding their dog a high-quality, freshly prepared diet, but are constantly putting chemicals in and on their dog. Vaccinations, topical treatments and internal treatments can take a major tole on the immune system. This, in turn, can lead to behavior problems and health issues later on.

I see people who work with wonderful holistic veterinarians to help keep their dog healthy & happy, but they are quick to put a prong or choke collar on and offer a 'correction' or even a "shht" in the name of training! This is probably the one that baffles me the most! The basis of most eastern medicine and holistic therapies is the energy of the animal. Nothing can be more damaging to this (and your relationship with your dog) as fear, pain and intimidation. This will certainly lead to health issues in the future as well as more, or slightly different behavior issues.

Sometimes, I think it's helpful to take a step back and look at the big picture, regardless of your goal. 
- Health and nutrition affect behavior
- Behavior will affect overall health 
- Training methods affect subsequent behavior and health

I think it's time to come full circle and realize that everything we do with our dogs is connected. Here's to making more conscious decisions in every aspect of your pup's life!





No comments:

Post a Comment